Diary of a poultry farmer: The art, science of feeding chickens - FARMERCIST 254

FARMERCIST 254

This site discusses farming issues in relation to Kenya with particular emphasis on poultry farming.

Breaking

Post Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Tuesday 27 February 2018

Diary of a poultry farmer: The art, science of feeding chickens

Ann Muthoni feeds her layer chicken at Turi Farm in Elburgon.
In the last two articles, I discussed how to test the quality of raw materials and the mash mixtures using crude protein (CP) and metabolisable energy (ME).
I explained that at times, the energy content of a chicken feed ration (ME) rather than other nutrients, is what determines the feed intake, growth and reproduction.
As a matter of fact, animal feed experts have told me because birds eat to satisfy their energy requirements, “high energy rations” at times give better results.
“Besides the energy and protein requirements of poultry feed rations, there are other equally important nutrients and parameters necessary to translate the science of feed formulation into the art of feeding chickens,” I told the farmers who attended training on my farm recently.
I then referred to the table on the right and added: “A good ration should contain vitamins and minerals (micronutrients) in the right proportions and the so-called amino acids. It must also be mixed properly, be palatable and digestible. The birds must also have access to clean and fresh water at all times.”
I stated this fact, “The mineral component of feed rations or the animal’s body is also known as ‘ash’ or inorganic matter and minerals must be present in the right proportions”.
To cushion them from the heavy content, I decided to share a story you’re probably familiar with to explain the importance of minerals.
Some time back, Charles, my worker in Parklands, had gone to collect eggs from the chicken coop but instead of the usual 30 eggs from the group of 53 hens, he only found four (Seeds of Gold, Nov 21, 2015).
I initially suspected he might have been selling them but further research yielded something strange: as soon as an egg was laid, the chickens would immediately break the egg and devour the contents including the shell.
At first, I was giving them lime ad lib every morning before feeds. Later, I increased the amount of lime in the 70kg bag of my home-made layers’ mash from half a kilo to six.
The problem was solved. You see, calcium deficiency is the commonest form of mineral deficiencies you’ll encounter. It leads to a form of cannibalism where hens eat their own eggs.
Other signs include weak egg shells and eggs that break easily during handling. It also leads to weak bones and paralysis.
THE GOLDEN RULE
According to a book by Prof G F Heuser of New York State College of Agriculture, the idea that minerals given in excess do no harm even if they do no good, or that small amounts of minerals in a ration are better than a large amount is wrong.
“Too much or too little is harmful and extra care must be taken when complex mineral mixtures instead of single ones are used to correct deficiencies,” he warns.
To illustrate this point to the farmers, I shared two examples of minerals you need to be careful about. “Too much calcium will retard growth and increase mortality in chicks,” I said.
“In addition, excess amounts of sodium chloride (common salt) when added to feed rations will cause wet droppings and wet litter. It can also be toxic to the chickens”.
Summary of nutritional needs for chicks, growers, layers, kienyeji and broiler chicken.
Summary of nutritional needs for chicks, growers, layers, kienyeji and broiler chicken. PHOTO | COURTESY
At this point, I turned to amino acids, the building blocks of proteins. “Although we normally use the protein content of feeds (CP level) to determine the quality of protein in feeds and raw materials, it’s useful to also measure the content of the so-called essential amino acids,’’ I said.
I explained that essential amino acids cannot be synthesised by the animal’s body and must be added into feed rations as supplements.
I also mentioned that although there are 11 essential amino acids for chickens in total, most nutrient tables only specify percentages of lysine and methionine.
“When these two – lysine and methionine – are in adequate amounts, you should assume that the others are adequate,” an expert told me.
The golden rule is that to ensure that a feed ration has adequate amounts of minerals, vitamins and amino acids, the mash mixture should comprise at least five or more natural sources of feeds (raw materials), one of which must be an animal protein like fishmeal.’
For even better results, home-made rations must be mixed uniformly. I normally mix the minerals, vitamins and amino acids first before I add soya meal and sunflower cake in a basin. I then use a drum mixer to mix with the other bulky materials. For the remaining two hours, we went through the steps of weighing and mixing the ingredients practically.
Another important concept I shared is called “palatability of the ration”.
If you recall, when I started formulating my own feeds, I searched the internet and found electronic spreadsheets that automatically calculate the amounts of ingredients you need to mix. I then proceeded to buy the raw materials and after mixing gave the chicks. The birds took a few pecks and spent the entire day staring at the mash.
Much later, Dr Silas Obukosia, an agricultural biotechnologist, explained

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Bottom Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Pages