HOW I GET MARKET FOR MY CHICKEN - FARMERCIST 254

FARMERCIST 254

This site discusses farming issues in relation to Kenya with particular emphasis on poultry farming.

Breaking

Post Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Sunday 25 February 2018

HOW I GET MARKET FOR MY CHICKEN


Quite often farmers, like any other business people, struggle with the idea of how to get market for their produce. Most small scale chicken farmers that I have managed to have a sitting with complain of lack of market for their mature birds. I always understand them because I was once in the same position.

My advice to poultry farmers is that instead of looking for big markets we should first concentrate on the small markets we have around. We just aggressively fight for the small markets around us...you may be shocked at how much potential these markets have.

When I decided to make my farming commercial, I had a stock of around 50 mature rainbowrooster birds. I had done my work well that I had very heavy birds, but had no idea where to get good prices. I tried big hotels and small food kiosks but their offers were often very discouraging.

Then a friend linked me to a lady who was doing outside catering in funerals and weddings...where I come from there is always at least an event every weekend. The lady gave me a good offer for my birds, since according to her, they were of a very good quality. I would give, to the lady, at least 4 pieces per weekend thereafter. This encouraged me to increase my stock since I was already unable to cater for the demands of this ready market.

The lady later introduced me to another friend of hers who would take the same number every weekend. Soon word went round and I got more customers...I would soon be doing at least 35 birds a weekend. This encouraged me to increase my stock even further.

Then one day I got a call from an accounts clerk from a local day secondary school. They had a parents' meeting and needed 10 birds. I committed to deliver the order and did plus an extra bird just to show my appreciation for the business they had given me. I would later supply them with at least 4 birds every Thursday for teachers' lunch.

My market expanded every week that passed by as I brought on-board more caterers and schools. I was doing so well until I was transferred from Siaya to Homabay County, for work. After the transfer I wouldn't keep a big stock in Siaya and had to lose the grip of this market...poultry farming needs close monitoring for maximum productivity.

I have since transferred my farm to Homabay and already linked with a few regular customer. Currently I sell at least five chicken to a customer in Oyugis town. Many are times when I get once-off big orders, of as much as 70 birds, but I havent been able to supply the orders since I have a small stock.

Next time you are looking for market for your chicken just think of your neighbour next door before thinking of big hotels and supermarkets. You can leave a comment down here if you are a chicken farmer looking for a market...we can link up and help each other do business.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Bottom Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Pages